How much dough in a 2lb loaf tin?
graham
2003-07-20 15:38:53 UTC
In England I make bread using 2lb (2 pound) loaf tins. How much dough by
weight is required for such a tin? Logic suggests it would be 2lb dough,
but
this seems too much for me.
Any ideas?
I use English bread pans and put 400g in a 454g (1lb) tin and 800g in the
908g (2lb) tin.
Graham
Roy Basan
2003-07-21 00:41:39 UTC
In England I make bread using 2lb (2 pound) loaf tins. How much dough by
weight is required for such a tin? Logic suggests it would be 2lb dough, but
this seems too much for me.
Any ideas?
It is not too much unless you desire a very light loaf with no
substance.English bread loaves are known for their closed grain
partially due to the appropriate scaling of dough during
production.And I like to eat a bread which has some bulk in it.
If the dough will lose about 8-10% of its weight during baking then
you must scale it that it will come out in the vicinity of the weight
desired for that pan.
In the commercial bakery:
A one pound pan should produce at least one pound bread loaf and not
less .
So if you scale your dough at about 500 grams you
are certain that after baking your loaves will be in the vicinity of
454 grams or one pound .
The same also for a pan designed for a two pound loaf. I scale it at
around a kilogram.I do not want to cheat my customers and there is a
law about bread weights that must be followed, if you are
claiming to be selling a pound size loaf.
Reading bread history shows many of cases of bakers sternly punished
(in old time England)due to underweight loaves.

Roy
Penster
2003-07-21 08:08:26 UTC
Roy
So the answer is dependant upon how much rising you allow and the closeness
of the grain you desire? But a 2lb loaf tin is designed for 2lb of dough?
Mick
Roy
Roy Basan
2003-07-22 09:36:10 UTC
Post by Penster
Roy
So the answer is dependant upon how much rising you allow and the closeness
of the grain you desire? But a 2lb loaf tin is designed for 2lb of dough?
Mick
"
A tin designed to produce a two lb pound bread loaf should have a
dough that weigh heavier so that when its baked it will come within
the vicinity of two pounds and not less.As I mentioned before you must
consider the baking and fermentation loss.
It is much better that the bread weigh slightly above two pounds
than to weigh less than that desired weight;so that the customer
remains happy that the baker is not cheating them.
You can make a lighter bread if you like it for yourself and not for
sales but in the baking industry, its not advisable.
BTW I have seen bakers elsewhere who are making underweight loaves but
that was in a country where laws about proper bread weight is not
strictly implemented.
Roy